Ramblings of a Slaint

Ramblings of my life in India and around the world

Monday, January 8, 2007

honorable guest

Yesterday I was an “honorable guest” at the opening of GYAN Niketan, a new home for street children located in Navi Mumbai. I am still not quite sure why I was considered an honorable guest, but perhaps it was just a ruse to actually make me go to the opening!
It was fun, but a long day. One of my current volunteers and I got up early and headed out to Vikhroli around 7:15 a.m. so that we could ride with the rest of the organization. I have no clue about Navi Mumbai - i’ve driven through many times, but never stopped for anything. Of course the hospitable ways of the organization made sure that we had breakfast on our arrival (so nice since neither of us ate before leaving!). Then we boarded a rented “school” bus with a bunch of other people and headed out for another hour journey. It was nice driving out there, cold, but nice scenery.
One of the bishops of Mumbai was also there to bless the new home and hold mass. I also probably wouldn’t have gone had I known I’d have to sit through 1 hr of mass! But I was there and sitting in the front row, so not much I could do, but watch. It was actually interesting though. All of the brothers from the organization got up and sang songs way off key to obscenely loud music. Then came the blessing of the centre. To this point I hadn’t done much but just watch. Then i was called up to light a diya (lamp) for the new centre. Unexpected, but nice to be included. And I thought then that my work was done and I could just sit and enjoy the children.
nope… after all of the kids gave a “cultural performance” I was called up again — to be thanked for my support of the organization. So sweet. I was also presented with a Kashmiri shawl (which i could have used in the morning when it was freezing!). Again I get that feeling of “why am I being thanked”. I do appreciate the thoughtfulness, but I don’t do much for the organization other than supply it with foreign volunteers and of course my own attention to the children. But I guess in the scheme of things these are important, so it was nice to be recognized.
Following this we all sat down to lunch in the new centre. I was very concerned with the children outside who had been watching us most of the day. they looked like they were construction workers children or new arrivals to the area. I asked in my broken hindi if they wanted some food and they said yes, so I made sure they were all given plates of food (i’m sure someone else would have as well, since this is a home for street children, but i just wanted to make sure!)
And after spending several hours taking photos of each and every single person from the “village” we headed back on our school bus in the blazing heat. I slept the whole way back with one little boy poking and prodding me the entire time!
And so we left to a chorus of children calling out bye to us. All 80 of them each having to say it themselves! (so cute)
It just goes to show again that even the little things that are done can add up to mean a lot. So next time you see that person sleeping on the street just smile and know that that little effort could have meant a whole heap more to them than you even know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home