Ramblings of a Slaint

Ramblings of my life in India and around the world

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

international getaway - Dubai

In a moment of insanity and spontaneity, folo and I decided on Thur afternoon at 6 pm that we should go to Dubai for the weekend. He realized he had 3 days off, which is rare and we really have been wanting to get away. He was at work until 2:30 am on Thur, so I booked the tickets, found a hotel, packed up all of our things and organized a cat sitter in only a few hours!
It was great. we spent a fortune, but it was great to finally see Dubai and to get away for a few days. Dubai is basically little America. Big clean roads, tons of fancy cars and malls the size of cities on every block!
Folo was amazing actually - he hates shopping, but somehow we spent a total of 23 hours in the malls!! My feet are still hurting. Folo’s shopping trip was quite successful. He came away with 10 new shirts, 1 sweater and 2 pairs of shoes. They had all of the same European brands he is used to for much cheaper, so he was happy.
I focused my attention on food mostly. We ate Chili’s everyday (at least chips and salsa if we were too full for more), I shopped at western grocery stores stocking up on all my favorites. And I bought a few things.
Dubai is expensive compared to India, but I would say still cheaper than the US except in property rates.
We did a few touristy things, but not much considering we had a short amount of time. We will go back though sometime. We need to try to plan it in advance next time so we can at least get cheaper flights. We have a few photos that I will post in the coming days. Now I am busy with 3 volunteers who arrived last night and looking forward to seeing the Dali Lama on Wednesday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home